Sunday, November 20, 2011

Runners' Bars

This is one of my new favorite snacks. Adapted from these bars from The Whole Kitchen.



They're called Runners' Bars because they're a good, quick "pick me up."
1 c. whole, unsalted almonds
3/4 c. dried, pitted dates
1/4 c. dried apricots
pinch of salt
1/4 t. cinnamon

Process in food processor until mixture clumps into a rough paste. Use a rubber spatula to spread mixture onto small cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press very firmly with your fingers to make mixture about 1/3" thick and spread evenly. Refrigerate for 30 min., then cut into bars (I made small bars, about 2x3"). Wrap individual bars in cling wrap. Best stored in refrigerator.


This recipe is just a guide; my adaption came from what I had available. Where I live, I can't immediately find many dried fruits that don't have added sugar. So apricot was my choice.

At the website link above, she used cashews and dried cherries. Just make sure that dates are still the largest amount of fruit (it makes them sweetest). Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment