Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sundried Tomato & Basil Tortillas

Time for the Gluten Free Ratio Rally! I'm glad this month's challenge was tortillas OR wraps...because mine ended up like a cross between the two. Actually, mine ended up more like a pancake. Or maybe skillet flatbreads would be a more accurate description. Whatever they should be called, I think this combination definitely will be experimented with in the near future! :)

The ratio I used for this was 1 part egg: 2 parts flour: 1.5 parts liquid. I'm seeing endless possibilities for these little tortillas....spread with fresh basil pesto and fresh-grated Parmesan cheese...Or make little individual "pizzas" with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings. I hope you enjoy these!

P.S. Stay tuned for my recipe for regular flour tortillas at the end of the week! Very excited!! :)
(Updated: click here for the recipe!)

Thanks to Brooke at "B & the boy!" for hosting this month! Here's the whole list of recipes for tortillas and wraps:

Brooke | B & the boy!  - Buckwheat Tortillas
Charissa | Zest Bakery -  Paleo Grain-Free and Gluten-Free Tortillas   
Jenn | Jenn Cuisine -  Corn Tortillas
Jonathan | The Canary Files -  Vegan Curried Flour Tortillas
Karen | Cooking Gluten Free -  Gluten Free Healthy Flours Tortillas 
Meg | Gluten-Free Boulangerie -  Lefse (Norwegian Potato Flatbread)
Pete and Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem  -  Flour Tortillas
TR | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies -  Gluten Free Flour Tortillas - Quesadilla

Sundried Tomato & Basil Tortillas
These are adapted from this post for grain free tortillas at Cooking Gluten (& Dairy) Free. I used my omelet pan for these instead of a cast iron skillet, like I normally would for tortillas.

4 oz. (1 c.) almond flour
4 oz. (a heaping 1 c.) tapioca starch
1/4 t. sea salt
1/2 t. baking powder
2 eggs (4 oz.)
6 oz. (2/3 c.) warm water
2.5 oz (1/2 c.) sun-dried tomato pieces, finely diced
1 t. dried basil

Mix dry ingredients. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in warm water, working out any remaining lumps. Add dried tomato pieces and basil, mixing well.

Let sit at room temp for 20-30 minutes. The batter will be the consistency of a thick gravy.

Heat the small omelet pan on medium heat, and spray with olive oil. Put several large spoonfuls of batter (about 1/4 c.) on the skillet, using spoon to spread out batter as much as possible. Wait a few minutes, until edges start looking dry, then flip with a spatula. Cook about one minute more.

Best if served immediately. Makes 8 small tortillas/wraps.

4 comments:

  1. What a great flavor choice!! I think they look that they came out fantastic. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sundried Tomato & Basil? You can stop right there - one of my favorite flavor combos. Thanks for sharing, Heather! Looking forward to your flour tortillas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. What a great flavor combination. I am starting a weekly Gluten-Free Share Page on OneCreativeMommy.com. It's brand new, but I hope it will become a great resource as it grows. I would love it if you added my party to your list of places to link up and shared some of your great ideas each week. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete